вторник, 10 януари 2012 г.

The proper end of a year of travels


When I came in Ribadavia it was summer, it was hot and beautiful, it was funny, entertaining and everyone was telling the legends about the winter when “nothing is happening” to prepare us for what is coming. The cold, moisty and rainy winter when everyone stays at home and there are no opportunities to spend your time nicely… Well, it was clear that the words of the locals complaining about the winter are quite exaggerated as it didn’t seem serious that 5-10C is a really low temperature. And now it is proved, it was all legends, my winter is like no winter at all by now.
First of all, outside it is still as green as it was in May, even flowers are still blooming on the streets;  yes, sometimes you get tired of rain, but still I have some ten from the sunny days… and nevertheless it doesn’t really feel as if the fiesta has stopped – just got less intense than in the summer.  

December was as vivid and colorful, just as warm as my never-ending summer of 2011. It started with a breath of a culture, as I visited the one of biggest cultural events in Galicia, called Culturgal in Pontevedra in the first weekend of the month.  I really got thousand ideas with information I got from what I saw at this huge expo of all types of art creators, promoters, producers, publishers and media… Cultural life has always been my strongest passion and I enjoyed a lot getting to know how it works in Galicia, as an example of a now-developing industry, especially when the promotion of it was live, with concerts, readings, interviews, theatre – three full days.

The week after was the so-called Puente, a week  with two Spanish national holidays in beneath, which the students love a lot because they usually get it all free, as well as some workers. In this week Casa da Xuventude was working, but the vacations still worked for a long-expected trip that I made – going to Portugal, visiting Porto for a day and a family friend in Lisbon. His family I was staying with were really good people that were all the time taking care of me and showed me the Portugese capital and the area around it. As I expected, I fell in love with the country, its cities and coast, even though nothing really surprised me after living almost on its border line. The Northern Portugal sure has a lot in common with Galicia, both as a culture and outlook. Porto though is a city to be experienced, as it is unique, one of those cities which have not only beautiful views and tourist attractions, but also a character, it feels to be alive, with its own artistic appearance.


Lisbon gave me another feeling, as being also a big capital city and as I am used to a much smaller city-sizes now… But in one word it is also a charming, beautiful place and the glory of its past still makes it look proud and royal. For years I was eager to see those both cities and to walk through their little steep narrow streets all over… My hosts took me to many little beautiful villages and spots around there, my volunteer foot also reached the most western point of continental Europe (Cabo da Roca) and the beautiful hills and coastline (where people keep on riding surf in December) North from Lisbon, the palaces of Sintra, the port of Cascais, the city of Setubal and its surroundings, lighthouses, monasteries…


It was a trip of short duration but with full program, great impressions and feelings. When I came back to Ribadavia though I didn’t enjoy long my good memories  as Aleksander was leaving and we had to say good-bye to a work and a living mate. The sad truth – the volunteer colony in Ribadavia lost a member.  Soon after we had to start the selection process of the EVS volunteers after us with the thought that neither Aleksander really wanted to leave, nor me and Santa want our project to come to an end. But this is how life goes, changes are more than necessary…
In general at work also it doesn’t feel as if in the winter there is less to do, as now I dare to do much more and stay occupied all the working hours. Truly, the knowledge of the language would be a plus in my application but I am grateful that I was given a chance to learn it here and as I already have the basics to communicate with the youngsters coming to Casa da Xuventude, to work better. The tasks also grew in number, including translations, phone calls, also I made a pre-departure training of a girl, soon about to leave for her EVS in Slovenia, another boy that OMIX had send has returned and thus the EVS wheel keeps on turning...

And the cherry on the top of all the travels during all this year going around Europe, was a travel I made during the Christmas holidays to Morocco. As is it not connected neither to what I do in my EVS, neither to what I discover from Spain as a culture, language and places, it was also a trip I used to dream about and that I knew will come true once I come closer to this part of the continent. Africa is a must see, a different world, which opens one’s eyes for many things. From Marrakesh’s square and its fairytale creatures, to the colorful markets which are swallowing you and  then spitting you out tired of all the colors, goods, smells, bargaining and shouts, to the poor dusty neighborhoods with children playing football with no shoes, the women with their vain on motorbikes, the traffic following no logic and the extreme sport of crossing a street, all the people with no-existing professions.. to the fish market in Essaueira, the seagulls and the chickens on the roofs. It is all beyond the imagination of a person from Europe, always surprising and so intense. But the best part definitely was visiting an oasis on the way from Oarzazete to the dessert, where only berbers still live as they used to do thousands of years ago in their cub houses, baking pottery and washing their clothes in the river… Well,  the more I write the more I realize how impossible it is to give in words all my impressions, but I am more than grateful (mostly to our friend and host there, Jamal, without whom it may be wouldn’t be so) for what I had to experience, for living in the magic of Africa for though only for a week...




Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар