петък, 20 май 2011 г.

BIENVENIDA / WELCOME

An early morning flight, turbulence, clouds, delay… I recognized we are already passing over Galicia by the view out from the window – it had turned into a fabulous landscape of green hills, long rivers and thick forests; all I knew from people that had been in this part of Spain before was that it is simply green, nature is alive all through the year, and really beautiful. And there I am on the airport of Vigo, meeting Lena –a German girl, one of the volunteers before me,  who came to pick me up together with two of her local friends. In the car to Ribadavia I can’t help looking out of the window again – the view is really impressive and it is garnished with the warm welcoming of the people, all really positive, natural, good-hearted. For the first couple of hours, before even reaching my new home, I am already introduced to about fifteen of the locals. And I was fast to be introduced to the traditional drinks for the region, which turned out to be deeply respected by the galicians. Liqueur Café, Crema de Orujo, Liqueur de Herba – three types of drinks that are not to miss. J

But at the moment of bigger importance is how I finally reached my home – a huge flat on the last floor of an old-school 70s building, called “El Torre”/The Tower. In my room I found a note, saying “Enjoy your life in Ribalandia”. After I walked out on the balcony, I was already sure that I will. The balcony is the place where I spend most of my time at home; the balcony turned into the an open-air place for internet, Spanish classes, meals, morning tea or coffee, a book, talks – everything, and most off all simply observing the whole town…

The town… It is a small bunch of tile-roof houses, huddled between the green hills along the river Avia. It has a romantic old town - the Jewish quarter with narrow paved streets, tidy stone houses with doors instead of windows and a sweet old-style bakery for traditional cookies. Plaza Mayor is the main square, occupied by the numerous chairs of the cafeterias, inviting you for a glass of wine and tapas for free. The region of Ribeiro is famous for the good wine and the typical type of garden here is the wineyard. The castle stands proudly in the centre of the town as well, and it’s often to see remains of the walls and portas of the old fortress dating in 15th century, when Ribadavia was the capital of Galicia. This is the reason to be also the host of one of the most spectacular historical festivals in Spain – Festa da Istoria. There are many fiestas in the town during the summer, it is also hosting an international theatre festival, but later I will come back to this, when the time for them has come. Over the streets and the houses often could be heard the song of the bells of one of the 8 stone churches. The whole village stands on the banks of the river and it thus plays a big role in its life. While walking the sandy path along the clear deep waters you see people having a sunbath, fishing, running, walking the dog, children playing on the remains of a watermill and the whole atmosphere is still so peaceful and quiet.
I felt totally satisfied with the place I chose to come; I felt actually blessed.




On the second day I met the second volunteer at the end of her project – Kadi from Estonia, which also introduced me to some of her friends… They started getting more than I could remember! But above all I also met the sweet girl I will share this whole experience with – Santa from Latvia. After a short talk during the morning striving for tea, we both were sure I will have lots of travels and joy in the next year…
(to be continued J)

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар